If you’ve been following my blog (or Instagram) for some time now, you’d know that I am a bit of a salad nut! I eat it daily, but the key is to never let it get boring. My kale burst salad (an adaption/ interpretation of a salad I’ve tried at Top Juice) has been a BBQ staple at my place lately. The sweet, salty and crunchy bursts of flavour are a hit every time.
What you’ll need:
- Kale (washed well with warm water)
- Slivered Almonds (Activated or toasted)
- Pepitas and Sunflower Seeds (Activated or toasted)
- Pomegranate (If you are not a fan, substitute with beetroot)
- Dried Sultanas
- Greek Feta Cheese (any firm feta will do)
- Cooked & Cooled Quinoa
- Olive Oil
1. Soak and wash the kale well with warm water. Do not be afraid to scrunch the leaves as they’re very hardy. Chop the leaves into bite size pieces. 2. Deseed you pomegranate, toast your seeds and nuts (if you’re not using activated seeds and nuts) and cut your Feta into small cubes.
3. Pop your kale, sultanas, pomegranate, feta, nuts and seeds into a bowl and season with olive oil, salt and lemon. 4. Add your cooked and cool quinoa and toss. Quinoa is super easy to cook. i.Wash the quinoa well. ii. Cook on the stove using 2 parts water to one part quinoa. iii. Once the water reaches boiling point turn down the heat and pop a lid on top. Stir occasionally so the quinoa doesn’t catch on the bottom. iv. When all the water is absorbed removed the lid and cook for another 2 minutes until the quinoa looks dry. v. Pop the quinoa in the fridge to cool down. Use when ready.
5. Mix ingredients well, taste and add any ingredients you think the salad is missing.
This salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. You’re best to leave the nuts and seeds out and adding prior to serving to maintain crunch.