A few weeks ago a girlfriend of mine served up these yummy, crunchy, bitter sweet slices with our afternoon tea. My mind, as it typically does, started to try and identify each ingredient. A few weeks later, still thinking about how good the slice was…I needed to attempt a replica.
What you need:
- 1.5 Cups Activated Buckwheat
- 250g Pitted Dates
- 1/2 Cup Goji Berries
- 1/2 Cup Cacao Nibs
- 1/2 Cup Cacao Powder + 1/4 cup spare for dusting
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Vanilla Bean Pod
1.In a large bowl, place the activate buckwheat, cacao nibs, cinnamon and seeded vanilla pod. 2.Meanwhile soak the goji berries in lukewarm water until soft. Drain the water and gently squeeze the goji berries to remove any excess water 3.Chop the dates into small chunks and with a fork squash/mix into a paste. 4.Combine the goji berries and date paste together 5. Now combine the goji and date mixture with the dry ingredients – mix well.
6. Add the 1/2 cup of cacao powder to the gooey mixture 7. If your mixture is too wet, add more cacao powder and or buckwheat. Form into a ball. 8. Place your mixture onto a lined tray.
9. Flatten out the mixture into a rectangular shape. 10. On a new lined tray, dust cacao powder and carefully flip the flattened slice mixture onto the cacao powder.
11. Peel the parchment paper off and dust the remaining exposed side with cacao powder.
12. Place a fresh sheet of parchment paper onto the slice slab. Now place a tray on top and weigh it down with a book or a few magazines. Place the slice in the fridge for one hour 13. After an hour, cut into bite size squares and enjoy. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to two weeks (if it doesn’t get eaten before then).