Like many folk, I have a weakness for the sweeter things in life, but jam (jelly) has always been something I’ve avoided. It’s not that I don’t like jam, but rather the idea of consuming between 30 – 60% sugar in one spoon has always put me off. However, a few weeks back after experimenting with my chia, yogurt and berry trifle, I accidentally made a jam like substance. A few tweaks and I’ve perfected a healthy, no cook berry chia jam. Ingredients
- 150g frozen mixed berries
- 2-3 tablespoons of Rice Malt or 3-4 teaspoons of Stevia
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- In a small bowl defrost the berries (either overnight in the fridge or in the microwave)
- Once the berries are defrosted, smash the fruit using the back of a fork until approx. 80% of the fruit is broken down.
- Sweeten the mashed fruit with either rice map syrup or stevia, to your liking.
- Add the chia seeds and mix.
- Put the mixture in the fridge for approx. 5 minutes to thicken.
- Pull the mixture from the fridge and stir again. Transfer to an airtight container, refrigerate and enjoy! (Makes about 1 cup of jam.)
- Transfer to an airtight container, refrigerate and enjoy! (Makes about 1 cup of jam.)