A few months ago, I was given a beautiful salt scrub by a girlfriend. It was moisturising, smelt divine and had the perfect level of exfoliation … in no time I was scratching the bottom of the jar. For the next few weeks I went on a little mission to find a replacement scrub, but all I found was overpriced scrubs ($45 for a small jar!? – really?) or scrubs that smelt like bathroom sprays. I decided I needed to make my own…
What you’ll need?
- 1 Cup of Solid Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 2 Cups Epsom or Sea Salts
- Essential Oil of your choice (I used a Sweet Orange & Jasmine Oil)
- Citrus rind of your choice (I used lemon) – optional
- Jars for storage
- Place the solid coconut oil, epsom salts and 5 drops of essential oils into a bowl and mix.
- Peel rind from your choice of citrus and mix in bowl. For a bigger citrus hit, fine grate the rind and combine well into your mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into an airtight container – top with more citrus peels.
- For a gentler scrub replace the salts for sugar.
- The rule of coconut oil to salt/sugar is 1:2.
- Don’t like coconut oil? replace it with grapeseed, almond, olive or jojoba oil.
- Add a ribbon and tag for a beautiful and useful homemade gift.