I don’t think I need to explain my unhealthy obsession with chocolate… and being one of those people that needs something sweet everyday, I’ve jumped on the healthy raw treat bandwagon for some time. Below are two of my favourite (and super easy) recipes…
What you’ll need:
- 300g of Pitted Dates
- 1 cup Ground Nuts ( I used almond meal and crushed some Almonds with a rolling pin for more texture)
- 1/3rd cup of Flaxseed Mix or LSA (ground linseeds, sunflower seeds and almonds)
- 1 cup Natural Unsweetened Cacao Powder
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 1/3 cup Goji Berries (pre-soak for a plump texture)
- 1/3 Shredded or Grated Coconut (I used a mix of fine and shredded)
- 1/3 Cacoa Nibs
- 1/2 Hot Water
1. Remove the pits from the dates ensuring you have 300g in a bowl. 2. Pour 1/2 a cup of hot water over the dates to soften. 3. Slowly work the dates into a predominately smooth puree.
4. In a bowl, add 1 cup of almond meal. 5. Add 1/3 cup of Flaxseed mix or LSA. 6. Add the date puree.
7. Lightly mix the ingredients 8. Add 1 cup of cacao powder 9. Add some rock salt.
10. Combine well, until the mixture looks consistent and tacky to touch 11. Separate the mixture in half, in two bowls.
12. In one bowl, add 1/3 Cup of Goji Berries and 1/3 Cup of Coconut and combine well 13. In other bowl add 1/3 cup Cacoa Nibs and combine well.
14. Lay out some cling wrap (width ways – approx 45cm wide) and shape the Goji berry & Coconut mixture into a log. 15. Fold over the plastic and roll. The log with eventually smooth out to approx 30cm in length. 16. Tighten ends of cling wrap and store in fridge. The log will be ready to slice in one hour.
17. Spoon a small amount of the cacao nib mixture onto raw cocao powder and shape/roll into bite size balls.
18. As an alternative, roll them in coconut or any other healthy alternative. 19. Pop the balls into an airtight container and store in the fridge.