I am a huge fan of the red lip. It looks so chic, so elegant, so sexy and yet so many people are afraid to try it. Below are a couple of my red lip tips which I’ve picked up over the years working with amazing makeup artists.
1. It is important you get the right colour and finish (Matt vs Sheen/Gloss) otherwise you run the risk of looking garish
- Warm (golden) skin tones – orange reds work best for you in a gloss or semi-gloss finish
- Cool based skins (this includes yellow & olive tone) – a true red or blue based red in a glossy finish.
- If you are soft or porcelain like in appearance – plum based, maroon or brownish reds are best for you. Look for a matt finish.
2. If you’re wearing a bold lip, keep the eye make-up simple – you don’t want to look like a clown.
3. If your lips have a tendency to ‘bleed’ use a liner – a liner in a similar colour to the lipstick should be used on the inside of your lip line. Note: You should not be able to tell you are wearing a lip-liner.
4. If you are still afraid to try a lipstick
- Opt for a tinted balm or gloss, I like Clinique Chubby Stick in two ton tomato.
- For a light colour without the gloss appearance, apply a matt lipstick using your finger in a light dabbing motion. This will give your lips a ‘berry stained’ appearance.
5. For staying power – use a lip pencil lightly all over your lips and then apply your lipstick. For stronger staying power; blot your lips with tissue paper, apply some loose powder and apply your lipstick again.
6. To make your lips appear fuller – apply a dab of gloss in the middle of your lips. You can go one step further and apply a small amount of skin highlighter/illuminiser above your cupids bow.
7. To avoid lipstick on your teeth – Pucker up, close your mouth around your index finger and slowly pull out. Any lipstick that would have found its way to your teeth is now on your finger.
Image Via Zuneta