As a stylist and Image Consultant there are a number of things I preach: quality over quantity, staples first, consistency and lastly… invest in a quality handbag.
- The craftsmanship of a quality handbag means it will last the test of time. The leather will age well, stitching will hold and hardware won’t fall off. The ‘cost per wear’ value is better than a cheap bag that only lasts a few months.
- A quality bag speaks volumes about you. It doesn’t necessarily say ‘I am of affluence’ or ‘I am a high income earner’. What it does say is ‘I value quality’ and ‘I’m a savvy shopper – I choose how I spend my hard-earned money wisely’.
- It transforms your everyday outfit and gives you confidence.
“Luxury bags make your life more pleasant, make you dream, give you confidence, and show your neighbours you are doing well” – Karl Lagerfeld
How to choose an investment piece?
- I always suggest a client begins by looking at the bags they already own. Which bag do you use to death? What style/shape/colour do you always turn to? Which bag is most versatile? Why? Answering these questions will help define your style and your lifestyle needs.
- Stick to neutral or foundation colours e.g. Black, Tan, Taupe, Chocolate, Forest Green, Maroon, Grey, Navy etc. I find myself buying Taupe, Grey and Navy most.
- Timeless Shapes – satchel, envelope, clutch, tote etc. Look to a fashion house’s re-occurring or signature styles.
- Keep the hardware simple.
- Stick to solid colours or a fashion house’s signature print.
- Look for quality durable materials, avoid delicate materials that stain easily.